Auckland DHB Haemophilia Centre
Public Service, Haematology
Factor Product Information
HAEMOPHILIA A (FACTOR VIII) REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
For people with Haemophilia A there are three different factor replacement products available:
- CSL (Biostate) FVIII: a plasma derived product ordered through Blood Bank.
- Advate (Takeda): a recombinant short acting factor VIII replacement product.
- Adynovate (Takeda): a recombinant, long acting factor VIII replacement product.
Advate and Adynovate are kept in the Haemophilia Centre fridge, Building 8, Level 5, Auckland City Hospital. For a supply of Advate or Adynovate, Monday-Friday 0730-1600 hours please contact the Auckland Haemophilia Centre ext: 25285/0211954262 outside of these hours the Clinical Nurse Manager can access product.
HAEMOPHILIA B (FACTOR IX) REPLACEMENT PRODUCTS
For people with Haemophilia B there are two different factor replacement products available:
- Rixubis (Takeda): a recombinant, short-acting factor IX replacement product.
- Alprolix (CSL): a recombinant, long-acting factor IX replacement product
Alprolix and Rixubis are kept in the Haemophilia Centre fridge, Building 8, Auckland City Hospital.
It is important to check which factor product each person uses, for several reasons:
- If someone has developed an Inhibitor and has received therapy for this, i.e. has been 'Immune Tolerised' on a certain product, we don’t know if changing the product will have an effect on the Inhibitor.
- People may respond differently to different products. For example, a patient may get different Factor rise in their blood to a recombinant product and a plasma derived product.
When a person develops an inhibitor, the usual replacement products are ineffective, and to stop bleeding episodes, FVIIa (NovoSeven) or FEIBA is used. Novoseven is kept on the Haemophilia Centre clinic bench and FEIBA is stored in the refrigerator.
If you would like more information on the types of clotting factors used by the Auckland Haemophilia Centre, please call the Centre for advice on (09) 307 4949 x25285/0211954262.