Capital & Coast DHB Infectious Diseases Department
This team consists of a Nurse Specialist, Social Worker, and medical staff who provide a free, confidential service to adults affected by HIV. The service is patient-directed and is available to people in hospital, the community and at outpatient clinics. The aims of the team are:
- to educate people about HIV infection
- to help reduce admissions to hospital
- to help patients understand how best to take their medications
- to provide a link between specialists, and primary health care
- to refer patients for ongoing counselling, and to any other appropriate services.
The HIV Team aims to reduce hospital admissions by continuing education, supporting medication adherence, and assisting HIV infected patients to take responsibility for their own health, as well as coordinating and linking them with appropriate support networks.