Counties Manukau Health Psychological Medicine
Good health care encompasses mental and emotional as well as physical wellbeing; Psychological Medicine provides specialist mental health assessment, advice and treatment for patients of CMH specialist health services in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings during normal working hours. Our clinicians also provide teaching on and advocacy for the emotional and psychological components of wellbeing for hospital staff.
Our service comprises 17 psychologists (Health, Clinical and Consultant Psychologists), 5 psychology interns, 6 Senior Medical Officers (Specialist Psychiatrists), 3 RMOs, 4 nurses, 2 social workers and an administrator and a Service Manager. We are part of the Division of Medicine in Counties Manukau Health.
Psychological Medicine Teams include:
- Liaison Psychiatry – Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged 18 and older
- Kidz First Paediatric Consult Liaison Team – Kidz First and Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged under 18, and some outpatients by arrangement. Also involved with the Centre for Youth Health Adolescent Pain Clinic and Centre for Youth Health Transgender Team
- Inpatient Psychologists:
- Critical Care Complex (ICU)
- National Burns Centre
- Spinal and AT&R Rehabilitation Psychologists
- Complex Pain Round
- Outpatient Specialist Teams:
- Medicine Health Psychologists for the Renal and Diabetes Teams
- Medicine Health Psychologists for the Cardiology, Respiratory, and Rheumatology services.
- ORL Psychologist
- Cancer Support Service
- Chronic Pain Service
- Plastics Psychologist
- Child Development Psychologists
- Transgender Youth Service
Clinical Heads: Marie Young (Consultant Health Psychologist), Dr Paul Vroegop (Psychiatrist/Pain Specialist)
Acting Service Manager: Anne-Marie Wilkins
|Mon – Fri||8:30 AM – 4:30 PM|
- All our services operate working days 8.30am - 4.30pm
- Referrals are accepted from CMH clinicians via the Clinical Portal SMT electronic referral system.
- If you would like to be seen please ask a member of your CMH health team to refer to our service.
- Inpatients should be seen within 24 hours during the working week
- Outpatients - time to be seen varies
- Please note: For referrals to Cancer Support, Chronic Pain Service, Child Development Psychology, Centre for Youth Health Pain and Transgender Services, please refer to the respective services.
- Referrals for people in the Emergency Department, or outside working hours if an urgent psychiatric assessment is required within hospital, should be directed to the Acute Mental Health Intake and Assessment team (based in the Middlemore Hospital Emergency Department).
- For urgent mental health assessments in the community, please contact the Acute Mental Health Intake and Assessment team at Lambie Drive via the Mental Health Line or Middlemore Hospital switchboard.
Liaison Psychiatry - Inpatients
Our team sees Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged 18 and older.… More
Paediatric Consult Liaison Team (PCLT) - Inpatients/Outpatients
Psychological, behavioural and psychiatric assessment and management for inpatients aged under 18 and their whanau/family while in Kidz First and Middlemore Hospital, and sometimes outpatient treatment.… More
Burns Psychology (inpatients/outpatients):
Psychological input for patients of the National Burns Unit… More
Outpatient Specialist Teams
Medicine Health Psychology - Cardiac, Respiratory & Rheumatology (outpatients/cardiac inpatients):
Julia Dawe - Intern Psychologist (Health)… More
There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Directions specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health. If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay. To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website.
(09) 276 0000 (All Departments)
Patient Enquiries (09) 276 5004
Information or Visiting Hours (09) 270 4799
Outpatient appointments & surgical booking enquiries:
Ph (09) 277 1660 | Fax (09) 277 1600
Emergency Department: Open 24 hours / 7 days, Phone (09) 276 0000
Private Bag 93311
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 12:50PM on October 29, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Counties Manukau Health Psychological Medicine.