Counties Manukau Health Psychological Medicine
Public Service, Mental Health
Good health care encompasses mental and emotional as well as physical wellbeing; Psychological Medicine provides specialist mental health assessment, advice and treatment for patients of CMH specialist health services in a variety of inpatient and outpatient settings during normal working hours. Our clinicians also provide teaching on and advocacy for the emotional and psychological components of wellbeing for hospital staff.
Our service comprises 24 psychologists (Health, Clinical and Consultant Psychologists), 4 psychology interns, 6 Senior Medical Officers (Specialist Psychiatrists), 3 RMOs, 5 nurses, 1 social worker and an administrator and a Service Manager. We are part of the Division of Medicine in Counties Manukau Health.
Psychological Medicine Teams include:
- Liaison Psychiatry – Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged 18 and older
- Kidz First Paediatric Consult Liaison Team – Kidz First and Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged under 18, and some outpatients by arrangement. Also involved with the Centre for Youth Health Adolescent Pain Clinic and Centre for Youth Health Transgender Team
- Inpatient Psychologists:
- Critical Care Complex (ICU)
- National Burns Centre
- Spinal and AT&R Rehabilitation Psychologists
- Complex Pain Round
Clinical Head: Dr Paul Vroegop (Psychiatrist/Pain Specialist)
Service Manager: Tracy May
- All our services operate working days 8.30am - 4.30pm
- Referrals are accepted from CMH clinicians via the Clinical Portal SMT electronic referral system.
- If you would like to be seen please ask a member of your CMH health team to refer to our service.
- Inpatients should be seen within 24 hours during the working week
- Outpatients - time to be seen varies
There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Directions specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health. If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay. To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website.
|Mon – Fri||8:30 AM – 4:30 PM|
Liaison Psychiatry - Inpatients
Our team sees Middlemore Hospital inpatients aged 18 and older.… More
Paediatric Consult Liaison Team (PCLT) - Inpatients/Outpatients
Psychological, behavioural and psychiatric assessment and management for inpatients aged under 18 and their whanau/family while in Kidz First and Middlemore Hospital, and sometimes outpatient treatment.… More
Burns Psychology (inpatients/outpatients):
Psychological input for patients of the National Burns Unit… More
Outpatient Specialist Teams
Medicine Health Psychology - Cardiac, Respiratory & Rheumatology (outpatients/cardiac inpatients):
Jordine Romana - Health Psychologist Cardiology… More
(09) 276 0000 or FREEPHONE 0800 266 513
Patient Enquiries (09) 276 5004 or 0800 266 513
Information or Visiting Hours (09) 270 4799
Outpatient appointments & surgical booking enquiries:
Ph (09) 277 1660 or O800 266 513| Fax (09) 277 1600
Emergency Department: Open 24 hours / 7 days, Phone (09) 276 0000 or
FREEPHONE 0800 266 513
Private Bag 93311
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:23AM on March 8, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Counties Manukau Health Psychological Medicine.