Lakes DHB Mental Health Triage Service
Public Service, Mental Health, Mental Health & Addictions
Triage is a process of accepting/declining Adult Community Mental Health referrals for both Rotorua (Te Ngako) and Southern Lakes Mental Health (Ruia Te Huia Oranga) and Primary Mental Health (PRIMHIS Rotorua).
- Programme Areas
- Programme Type
Non-acute specialist mental health community services
- Age Groups
Adult / pakeke
- Referral Types
Self referral, GP, DHB clinical services, Corrections
Referrals can be completed by a GP electronically and sent to Triage via Best Practice.
- Alternatively, self-referrals are accepted
- SBARR by referring Health Professionals
The above forms can be faxed to 07 343 8741 or emailed to
For all queries relating to Primary Mental Health (PRIMHIS) referrals, please contact the Triage Nurse on 07 349 7861
For all queries relating to Adult Community Mental Health referrals, please contact the Triage Nurse on 07 343 8781
Triage is a process of accepting/declining Adult Community referrals for both Rotorua (Te Ngako) and Southern Lakes Mental Health (Ruia Te Huia Oranga) and Primary Mental Health (PRIMHIS Rotorua).
What happens when we receive your referral?
Upon receipt of the referral all information will be assessed. The referred person will then be phoned to gain more information to ensure the most appropriate support is put in place. Each referral is allocated a priority for assessment according to the seriousness of the needs identified at the time of referral. A priority rating will be allocated in accordance with the UK triage guidelines.
Following this phone call some likely outcomes are:
- Referral to Community Mental Health (Te Ngako – Rotorua, Ruia Te Huia Oranga – Taupō) for ongoing support by a treating team.
- Referral for an assessment based within our Non Urgent New Assessment Clinic (NUNA) by a mental health professional. Any recommendations and outcomes will be discussed at the end of this assessment with you.
- Referral to PRIMHIS for counselling. This service is based within your GP practice.
- Mental health can also decline input and refer back to GP/referrer recommending referral to a community agency such as LinkPeople, REAL, Te Utuhina Manakitanga Trust/addiction resource centre.
- Person referred may decline any further input.
The Triage team consists of two clinicians who triage the Adult Community referrals and the Primary Mental Health (PRIMHIS) counselling referrals.
New Zealand citizens or those who have obtained permanent residence are entitled to publicly funded health care.
Non-residents may be required to pay for their health care.
Click here to read more about eligibility for funded care at Lakes DHB.
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 4:30 PM|
For urgent out of hours assistance, please call the Acute Response Team on 0800 166 167.
Public Holidays: Closed Auckland Anniversary (31 Jan), Waitangi Day (Observed 7/2/22) (7 Feb), Good Friday (15 Apr), Easter Sunday (17 Apr), Easter Monday (18 Apr), ANZAC Day (25 Apr), Queen's Birthday (6 Jun), Labour Day (24 Oct).
Christmas: Open 20 Dec — 24 Dec. Closed 25 Dec — 26 Dec. Open 27 Dec — 31 Dec. Closed 1 Jan — 2 Jan. Open 3 Jan — 7 Jan.
For PRIMHIS queries, call (07) 349 7971 (administration)
For Adult Community Mental Health queries, call (07) 343 5050 (administration)
1144 Pukaki Street
1144 Pukaki Street
Private Bag 3023
Rotorua Mail Centre
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 3:25PM on February 11, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Lakes DHB Mental Health Triage Service.