Starship Paediatric Child Consult Liaison Psychiatry
The Child Consult Liaison Psychiatry team provides psychological and emotional assessment and support to children and adolescents who have medical or surgical problems. It also provides a service to parents and brothers and sisters. It is located on level three of Starship.
The sort of problems they help with include:
- adjusting to, and coping with, illness or injury
- emotional and/or behavioural problems in a child with illness or injury
- treatment compliance problems, e.g. fear of needles, special diets, difficult treatments, management of pain in children and adolescents
- feeding difficulties
- parental and family difficulties coping with a child’s illness
- grief and bereavement counselling.
They offer a range of interventions:
- cognitive behavioural therapy
- child therapy and counselling
- family therapy
- neuropsychological assessments
- assessment for daypatient and inpatient treatment.
The team consists of:
- child psychiatrists
- clinical psychologists
- nurse specialists
This service liaises closely with the child’s medical or surgical team and also with any other involved service e.g. general practitioner, school, physiotherapist, Special Education Services.
The Starship Child Consult Liaison Psychiatry team only see children who are currently inpatients or outpatients at Starship. Please ask a member of the Starship team to refer your child to our service.
09 3074949 Ext 23303
DDI 09 307 8926 Internal 22698
2 Park Road
2 Park Road
Consult Liaison Office
Building 2, Level 3, Room 3.142
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 12:21PM on October 18, 2018. This information is reviewed and edited by Starship Paediatric Child Consult Liaison Psychiatry.