Waitemata DHB Ostomy Service
The Ostomy Nurse Specialist assists in the assessment, care and management of patients following stoma surgery, including home visits and provision of supplies. This service is part of the District Nursing Service and links with clinicians such as colorectal surgeons and clinical nurse specialists and other members of the community multidisciplinary team.
The service also provides:
- Pre-operative education and stoma siting
- Post-operative follow-up, education, support, appliance advice and supply provision
- Annual review, or as required
- Ongoing problem solving and support.
In accordance with the service specifications provided by the Funder, and with the patient’s permission, referrals will be accepted from:
- Self, family, caregivers, health professionals, GPs, hospital staff and specialists.
All patients who have a condition resulting in the formation of a stoma and who require care, support and supplies to function normally in a community setting, will be referred to the service.
Please telephone the Referral Screener for all requests, information and advice:
Phone: (09) 486 8945 ext 43222 (8.00am - 4.30pm; Monday to Friday)
Fax: (09) 486 8997 (for referrals)
- Ostomy Service - Patient Information Oct 2015 (PDF, 129 KB)
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 10:16AM on April 16, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Waitemata DHB Ostomy Service.