Northland Primary Options
The Purpose of Primary Options is to:
- enable Primary Care teams to access new and existing community-based alternatives to acute hospital admission where these are appropriate
- build knowledge about various service options including optimum skill-mixes, client/Whanau focus and cost-effectiveness
- identify and, where appropriate, address communication and service gaps that contribute to hospital admissions
- encourage General Practice insights into issues and General Practice support for reducing hospital admissions
- support culture and practice changes required to achieve the goals of reducing the level of acute admissions and achieving integrated services.
A range of community diagnostic, therapeutic and logistic services are provided at no cost (except the initial GP consultation) to the patient/Whanau. These include:
- diagnostic procedures, for example x-ray, ultrasound, IV antibiotics for cellulitis (see guidelines) and laboratory blood tests
- GP and Practice Nurse home visiting
- follow-up and return visits to General Practice locations
- home nursing services, home help and equipment hire
- intravenous therapy
- transport to and from Primary Care locations
- rest home care.
Northland PHOs Primary Options Programme is designed to minimise hospital referrals for acute medical patients.
Short term interventions to achieve this include:
- IV therapy (either antibiotics or fluid administration)
- GP or nurse consultation
- nurse observation
- Private x-ray or scan, fast tracking diagnostic procedures
- Rest home stay
- Home support services
- Equipment hire services
- Transport support.
0830 - 1700 excluding public holidays
It is expected that most referrals will be made electronically. These are easily done through Medtech. If this is not possible then referrals can be made by fax.
Please go to www.manaiapho.co.nz Primary options - Forms to obtain the fax referral form.
Please go to www.manaiapho.co.nz Primary options to find claiming guidelines.
Claiming guidelines, algorithms, information and rationale are available on the Manaia PHO website http://www.manaiapho.co.nz/Primary_Options
0800 PRIMARYOPS (0800 774 627)
(09) 438 3210
28-30 Rust Avenue
28-30 Rust Avenue
P.O. Box 1878
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 2:33PM on April 11, 2017. This information is reviewed and edited by Northland Primary Options.