Waitematā DHB Asian Health Services
Public Service, Other
Asian Mental Health Service
Asian Mental Health Service (AMHS) provides culturally and linguistically appropriate support for service users under the care of the mental health services of Waitematā DHB (WDHB). AMHS covers the whole catchment area of WDHB (Waitakere, North Shore and Rodney) and the regional forensic service.
The purpose of AMHS is to improve access for Asian communities to mental health services, especially for Asian migrants who have limited English skills and are unfamiliar with the New Zealand health system. AMHS endeavours to provide a seamless service and positive experience to service users and their families.
The team comprises Cultural Support Coordinators with different professional qualifications, different backgrounds, and different experiences. To meet the clients’ needs, we work holistically to provide comprehensive services.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- Social and cultural assessment
- Psycho-education to service users and family members
- Talking therapy (incl. Life skills counselling) in Asian languages
- Engagement and communication support between service users, their family members and Waitemata DHB clinicians
- Support for service users and family members to navigate and understand the health system and access to community resources
- Support for service users to identify their strengths to achieve their personal goals
- Collaboration with clinical teams and other agencies
- Group works (Asian Wellbeing Group, Incredible Years Parenting Programme and Sensory Modulation Programme)
- One-off clinical consultation from a cross cultural psychiatrist when needed
- Mental health awareness workshops for the Asian communities
WHO CAN USE OUR SERVICE?
The service is free for Asian people who:
- identify themselves as Asian
- live in the catchment area of WDHB (North Shore, Waitakere, Rodney)
- experience mental distress
- are currently under the care of WDHB specialist mental health & addiction services
HOW TO MAKE REFERRALS
- Waitematā DHB specialist mental health professionals including: the Acute teams, the PCLs , the Recovery (community) teams, the Liaison Psychiatry, MH ICU
HOW TO CONTACT US
Contact details: http://www.asianhealthservices.co.nz/Asian-Mental-Health-Service/Contact-Our-Team
Phone: 09 487 1321 Extn 47321
中文电话： 09 486 8920 Extn 46799
(중국어) 09 487 1341 Extn 47314
연락처 (한국어): 09 487 1321