Waitematā DHB Asian Health Services
Asian Mental Health Service
Asian Mental Health Service (AMHS) provides culturally and linguistically appropriate support for service users under the care of the mental health services of Waitematā
DHB (WDHB). AMHS covers the whole catchment area of WDHB (Waitakere, North Shore and Rodney) and the regional forensic service.
The purpose of AMHS is to improve access for Asian communities to mental health services, especially for Asian migrants who have limited English skills and are unfamiliar with the New Zealand health system. AMHS endeavours to provide a seamless service and positive experience to service users and their families.
The team comprises Cultural Support Coordinators with different professional qualifications, different backgrounds, and different experiences. To meet the clients’ needs, we work holistically to provide comprehensive services.
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- Social and cultural assessment
- Psycho-education for service users and family members
- Life-skills counselling
- Engagement and communication support between service users, their family members and Waitematā DHB clinicians
- Support for service users and their families to understand the health system and access appropriate community resources or services
- Support for service users to identify their strengths to achieve their personal goals
- Support for service users and family members to access appropriate services
- Collaboration with mental health professionals and other service providers
- Asian Clinical Psychological Service (ACPS) available in Chinese, Indian, Korean & Japanese
- Clinical Cultural Consultation (CCC) service (one-off) for Asian clients by bi-lingual Psychiatrists
- Group Programmes (The Incredible Years Parenting Programme, Sensory Modulation Programme & Wellness Recovery Action Group etc)
- Therapy sessions (e.g. CBT)
- Asian Wellbeing Group (weekly)
WHO CAN USE OUR SERVICE?
The service is free for Asian people who:
- identify themselves as Asian
- live in the catchment area of WDHB (North Shore, Waitakere, Rodney)
- experience mental distress
- are currently under the care of WDHB specialist mental health & addiction services
HOW TO MAKE REFERRALS
- Waitematā DHB specialist mental health professionals including: the Acute teams, the PCLs , the Recovery (community) teams, the Liaison Psychiatry, MH ICU
HOW TO CONTACT US
Contact details: http://www.asianhealthservices.co.nz/Asian-Mental-Health-Service/Contact-Our-Team