Starship Paediatric Orthopaedics
Public Service, Paediatrics, Orthopaedics
Dr Terri Bidwell (Orthopaedic Surgeon)
Mr Murray Beagley (Plastic Surgeon)
Acute: Phone registrar on call 021 938 154
Non-Acute: E-referral or Central Referral Fax Line (09) 307 8906
The Children’s Hand Team at Starship is a combined Orthopaedic and Plastic Surgical Service. We provide treatment for:
- Acute hand injuries including finger and hand fractures, lacerations, nailbed injuries, wrist injuries. We do not take whole finger or hand replants, these are done at Middlemore Hospital. Please wrap the digit in a damp cloth and then place in a bag of ice and present as quickly as possible to the Middlemore ED.
- Common hand conditions such as: Ganglion, Trigger thumb, problems as a result of previous injuries
- Congenital hand differences including patients with missing digits or parts (symbrachdactyly, congenital band syndrome), patients with extra digits (polydactyly), patients with other arm differences such as radial dysplasia, hypoplastic thumb, ulnar dysplasia, cleft hand, macrodactyly.
- Birth Brachial Plexus injuries
- Cerebral Palsy - the cerebral palsy clinic is located at the Wilson Home but is part of the Starship service.