Waitematā DHB Child & Family Services
Public Service Community
Who is the clinic for:
- Children and young people between 3 months and 18 years of age, or up to 21 years if the child has special needs and is still at school.
What conditions are seen:
- Impacted wax (from 1 year of age)
- Discharging ear where there is no pain or pyrexia
- Children who have failed VHT (vision and hearing technician) screening and/or have suspected hearing loss
- Foreign body in the ear (may require further referral to Starship or ORL)
- Children who wear hearing aids
- Children with previous history of otitis media with effusion, or grommet insertion
Acute ear pain or acute ear infections should be managed by primary care, as this is not an acute service.
What services do Ear Nurses provide:
- Ear health assessment
- Suction to remove impacted wax, and aural toilet
- Health education
- Referral of children to Ear, Nose and Throat surgeons, audiologists, speech language therapists and other professionals for further assessment if necessary
- Placement of children needing grommet surgery directly onto surgical waiting lists
Clinics are based in Waitakere, North Shore, Hibiscus Coast, Warkworth, and Wellsford.
Referrals are made by e-referrals from GPs. Relevant medical information supporting referrals would be helpful.