Waitematā DHB Child & Family Services
Public Service Community
Child Health Social Workers
Child Health Social Workers provide a consistent, comprehensive approach to support the well-being and protection of children and young people who may be at risk. They accept referrals for children and young people who may potentially be at risk of neglect/abuse, behavioral concerns, or family/environmental issues which impact upon children and young people.
- Home/school visiting and liaison – working in partnership with families/whanau or caregivers
- Support and advocacy for children and young people’s psycho-social needs
- Assessment, intervention, and referral to appropriate services, as required
- Assessment of risk/signs of safety for children and young people
- Consultancy on educational/community development programmes to schools, agencies, health professionals and community groups.
Referrals are accepted on the basis that parents/caregivers have given consent.
NB: Child Health Social Workers do not have statutory authority and will refer high-risk cases to Child, Youth and Family.