Wellington Children's Hospital
Emollients are heavy moisturisers that help manage and control eczema. Children and adults with eczema usually have dry and easily irritable skin.
When used adequately emollients have a number of important functions that will help you:
- put moisture back in the skin which relieves itching or, if very dry, pain
- where the skin is broken or weeping, will help the skin heal faster and feel more comfortable
- decrease shedding of skin
- improve skin barrier function so that the skin is not so irritated by conditions, allergens and less open to infection
- decrease redness and swelling
- decrease the length of time and strength of steroid you need to apply to the skin.