Northland DHB Radiology
Public Service, Radiology, Cancer Network Group, Pregnancy Ultrasound
Bay of Islands Hospital
- diagnose disease states, such as cancer or heart disease
- show if there is any injury to body structures
- provide treatments (interventional radiology)
- assist in the management of normal or complex pregnancy
- screen for the detection of abnormalities in well patients such as for breast cancer, aortic aneurysm, osteoporosis and foetal defects.
- Medical Radiation Technologists (MRTs) or Radiographers perform your X-ray, barium and mammography examinations.
- Sonographers are MRTs who perform your ultrasound examinations.
- Radiologists are specialist doctors who read and understand your films. They will also be involved if you have an intravenous urogram (IVU), barium study, mammogram and a number of other ultrasound procedures. They interpret the results of the images and send them to your doctor.
For general x-rays you must first be assessed by your GP before you can be referred to the Radiology Department. Some patients will be referred by specialists.
There are currently more referrals for appointments than we have the capacity to see. All referrals for ultrasounds, CT, MRI, mammography and other specialist examinations are read by a radiologist and a priority rating is attached to the referral. The most urgent cases get seen first and more routine cases go on the waiting list. Referrals for plain x-rays are checked by designated clinical staff for prioritisation.
Once the referral from your GP is accepted by us, we will write/telephone you giving you an appointment time and date. When you receive your appointment, please turn up on the day because if you do not turn up, you will deprive another patient of this appointment. For some appointments, you will be asked to confirm your attendance.
If you are unable to attend an appointment it would be helpful to inform the Radiology Department of this so that your allocated time can be given to another patient.
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 4:30 PM|
|Mon – Fri||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
Bay of Islands Hospital
|Mon – Fri||9:30 AM – 4:00 PM|
|Mon – Fri||9:00 AM – 3:30 PM|
Hospitals and cancer treatment centres
- Public hospitals
Brain and Spinal, Head and Neck / Thyroid, Lung, Breast, Upper Gastrointestinal (Oesophagus / Stomach / Liver), Lower Gastrointestinal (Bowel / Rectum / Anus), Kidney, Bladder, Testicular, Prostate, Gynaecological, Leukaemia and Blood, Skin Cancer / Melanoma, Sarcoma, Childhood Cancers, Others
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 1:40PM on September 13, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Northland DHB Radiology.