Tu Pakari Ora - Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Service
Specialist medical services provided by forensically trained doctors and nurses to assist those 14 years and older who have been raped or sexually assaulted.
Age: Youth and Adults 14 years and over. For paediatric services contact the paediatric registrar within your DHB.
Region: Wellington, Kapiti, Porirua, Hutt, Wairarapa
Our qualified team provide free and confidential forensic and non-forensic medical services that are sensitive and accessible. We provide services to people of diverse social and cultural backgrounds who have experienced sexual harm, whether recent or historic. Services we offer include:
- Private and confidential medical care
- 24/7 forensic response for adults and adolescents
- Special (forensic) examinations if reporting to the Police or considering reporting
- Health and safety checks following sexual abuse/assault to include lab testing and medication as appropriate
- Follow-up examinations in a supportive environment
- Referral to Specialist Support agencies, Primary Care and ACC as requested
For more information see SAATS Brochure
Download a Referral Form if you are an external agency wanting to make a referral, email or call (04) 805 0522 Mon - Fri 9am-4pm
All services are FREE of charge with no residency/eligibility criteria
How to Access:
In an emergency dial 111
Our acute forensic examinations are provided 24/7 and are accessed in most cases through Police or Crisis Support Services. They will take the details of the case and contact us to organise a forensic examination or non-forensic exam as appropriate. This provides patients with crucial support with the specialist services.
If you have been sexually assaulted please contact:
- Wellington or Hutt Police: (04) 381 2000 or Masterton Police: (06) 370 0300
- If you do not wish to report to Police or are uncertain, please contact:
- Wellington Sexual Abuse HELP (04) 801 6655
- HV SASH - Hutt Valley Sexual Abuse Support and Healing 0800 226 694
- Wairarapa Rape and Sexual Abuse Collective 0800 614 614
- Victim Support 0800 842 846
If there are physical or mental health concerns, requiring urgent assessment, these take precedence over forensic examinations. Please refer appropriately to the ED as required.
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 12:22PM on January 22, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by Tu Pakari Ora - Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Service.