Bay of Plenty, Canterbury, Central Auckland, Central Lakes, Dunedin - South Otago, East Auckland, Hawkes Bay, Hutt, Lakes, MidCentral, Nelson Marlborough, North Auckland, Northland, South Auckland, South Canterbury, Southland, Tairawhiti, Taranaki, Waikato, Wairarapa, Waitaki, Wellington, West Auckland, West Coast, Whanganui > Social Services >
Shakti New Zealand
12:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
Shakti (strength) provides immediate help and support to women, children and youth of Asian, African and Middle Eastern origin who have experienced sexual abuse, domestic violence and discrimination.
Call 24/7 Crisis Line 0800 SHAKTI (0800 742 584)
Age: Children, Youth and Women
Region: All of New Zealand
Shakti Community Council is a non-profit organisation serving migrant and refugee women, children and youth of Asian, African and Middle Eastern origin. We protect the rights of women and children and help them overcome the barriers that come with migration and inter-generational bonds of cultural oppression. Led by ethnic women, Shakti provides a range of support services to survivors of sexual and domestic violence and other social services.
Sexual Harm services include:
- 24-hour national crisis line for immediate assistance, support and information
- Emergency pick-up service for victims of sexual abuse
- Safehouse - Refuges in Auckland, Wellington, Tauranga and Christchurch for survivors of sexual harm in need of emergency accomodation
- Counselling, information and support for those who have experienced sexual harm recently or in the past
- Advocacy and assistance with Police and court procedures
- Support with specialist medical examinations
- Culturally appropriate support
All sexual harm services provided by Shakti are FREE. Safehouses and external support services are free if you meet certain criteria.
Other Shakti social services include:
- 24-hour crisis line (0800 SHAKTI) for ethnic women experiencing domestic violence
- Social work, counselling programmes, interpreting, legal referrals, ACC advocacy
- Domestic violence intervention training for the community
- Drop-in centre Onehunga (Auckland only)
- Refuges in Auckland, Wellington, Tauranga and Christchurch for ethnic women needing to escape domestic violence
- Social work, self-empowerment and life-skills programmes, therapy, health referrals, counselling and legal support
Shakti Education, Training and Advisory Company (SETAC)
- NZQA approved, free educational, vocational and life skills programmes to empower ethnic women to become confident, skilled and self-reliant, reducing poverty and barriers faced by ethnic migrants/refugees, exacerbated by prolonged abuse
Women's Support Groups
- Tauranga, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin providing domestic violence intervention support and information
- Life-skills programmes and advocacy when referring to other services
For more information on these services see here
All Shakti social services are FREE. Safehouses and external support services are free if you meet certain criteria.
How to Access
Call our Crisis Line 0800 742 584
Contact us here
Visit our website
5-12 years old, 13-17 years old, 18+ years old
How do I access this service?
12:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
|Mon – Sun||midnight – midnight|
24-hour Crisis Line is available Public Holidays
|Mon - Fri||9:00AM - 4:00PM|
Office is closed Public Holidays
Public Holidays: Open on all public holidays.
Sexual harm victims/survivors - Do you need help and support?
- Immediate help
- Support and counselling
Abuse and violence
- Family violence intervention
- Emergency accommodation
For all Asian, African and Middle Eastern women
Legal / civil services
- Legal advice
Education and training
Chinese, English, Hindi, Korean
Bay of Plenty, Canterbury, Central Auckland, Central Lakes, Dunedin - South Otago, East Auckland, Hawkes Bay, Hutt, Lakes, MidCentral, Nelson Marlborough, North Auckland, Northland, South Auckland, South Canterbury, Southland, Tairawhiti, Taranaki, Waikato, Wairarapa, Waitaki, Wellington, West Auckland, West Coast, Whanganui
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 11:37PM on April 3, 2019. This information is reviewed and edited by Shakti New Zealand.