Wellington > Public Hospital Services >

Wellington Hospital - Nga Puna Waiora

Public Hospital

Support Services

Eligibility for Funded Health Care

If you are eligible for funded healthcare then in most instances; but not all, the services provided to you will be at no charge. However, there are a number of Departments within C&CDHB that do charge for some services and equipment. If you should have any queries regarding the cost of these specific services, please contact the appropriate department to enquire.   

If you wish to clarify whether you are eligible for funded healthcare please continue to read on....  

The New Zealand (NZ) Government funds health and disability services for people who meet the eligibility criteria set by the Minister of Health. Most services are free (or partly subsidised) for people who meet the eligibility criteria at the time they receive the services.

All patients will be asked to provide documents (e.g. Passports and birth certificates) to prove they are eligible for free or subsidised health care (New Zealanders should only need to prove their eligibility once). Immigration New Zealand may be contacted to clarify patients’ residency/visa status.

Click here to access the Ministry of Health, eligibility criteria.  


Overseas visitors and other ineligible people will be charged for publicly funded health and disability services


Accidents and Emergencies

All overseas visitors are entitled to free care for injuries caused by an accident; but the claim must be accepted by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC). Any ongoing treatment may be paid by ACC — the patient must apply for ACC for cover. Certain services required in civil emergencies (national or regional) are also publicly funded for overseas visitors and other ineligible people. Anyone needing other emergency care will receive treatment. However, patients that do not qualify for free or subsidised health care will be charged for their treatment and payment will be required before they leave the hospital.


You qualify for all publicly funded health and disability services if you are:

  • A NZ citizen (including those from the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau)
  • An Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident who has/intends to stay in NZ at least two years
  • A NZ residence class visa holder (i.e. a resident visa, permanent resident visa or residence permit)
  • A work visa holder eligible to be in NZ for two years or more (including time spent lawfully in NZ immediately prior to work visa)
  • An interim visa holder who was eligible immediately before their interim visa started
  • A NZ Aid Programme student receiving Overseas Development Assistance funding, or their partner
  • A refugee or protected person (including applicants and people appealing to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal)
  • A victim or suspected victim of people trafficking
  • A child under 18 in the care and control of a parent or legal guardian or person applying to become their legal guardian or adopting parent eligible as above
  • A student visa (or permit) holder on a Commonwealth Scholarship from a NZ university
  • A Ministry of Education Foreign Language Teaching Assistant.


If you are not eligible for the full range of services, you may qualify for a specific set of services if you are:

  • The pregnant partner of an eligible person, for maternity-related services (or where your child is a NZ citizen by birth)
  • An Australian resident (holding a Medicare card) in NZ on a temporary stay, for immediately necessary hospital, maternity and pharmaceutical services
  • A United Kingdom (UK) citizen ordinarily resident in theUK, on a temporary stay, for promptly required services
  • A person being assessed or receiving treatment for tuberculosis or infectious diseases listed in the Health Act, to contain or control the risk to the public
  • A child requiring Immunisation Schedule vaccinations or Well Child services
  • A person being assessed or receiving compulsory services under the:

–         Mental Health (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Act

–         Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Act

–         Criminal Procedure (Mentally Impaired Persons) Act, or the

–         Intellectual Disability (Compulsory Care and Rehabilitation) Act

  • A prisoner requiring services; not available in Corrections facilities.




Anyone who is not eligible for publicly funded health and disability services is personally liable and must pay C&CDHBthe full costs of their treatment. This includes collection costs and any other costs incurred.


Payment options


Personal Payment

Payments for treatment can be made at:

–         Cashier,WellingtonMain Outpatients

–         Cashier, Kenepuru

–         Emergency Department Reception

–         Dental Reception,Wellington& Kenepuru

–         Te Mahoe, Women’s Health Services

–         Riddiford Hostel Office

–         Audiology,Wellington


Insurance Company Payment

–         It is the responsibility of patients to arrange for payments by insurance companies to be made to C&CDHB. C&CDHBwill invoice you personally until an insurance company has accepted full liability and C&CDHBhas been guaranteed payment.

–         If your insurance company only covers part of the costs incurred, you will still be liable for the full bill.

General Enquiries: (04) 385 5999
Fax: (04) 385 5856

Emergency Department: Open 24 hours / 7 days, Phone (04) 385 5999


Wellington Hospital
Riddiford Street
Wellington 6021

View on Google Maps

Get directions

Street Address

Wellington Hospital
Riddiford Street
Wellington 6021

Postal Address

Wellington Hospital
Private Bag 7902
Wellington South