Auckland Weight Loss Surgery
Private Service Bariatric (Weight Loss) Surgery
At Auckland Weight Loss Surgery we specialise in the surgical management of obesity. We offer laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic gastric bypass, but also manage patients that have had adjustable gastric bands, or need revision of previous bariatric surgery.
Mr Grant Beban, Mr Richard Babor and Mr Nick Evennett are Upper Gastointestinal Surgeons specifically trained in weight loss surgery. They work together, and as part of a multidisciplinary team to optimise patient care.
Included in the team are:
- Craig Birch, Ivan Bergman and Kim Jamieson - Anaesthetists
- Katie Lambert, Liz Goodall and Jo Wong - Bariatric Dietitians
- Emily McRae - Health Psychologist
Mr Beban and Mr Babor both also consult at MacMurray Gastroenterology in Remuera.
Weight Loss (Bariatric) Surgery
Weight loss or bariatric surgery is a term that covers all the different surgical procedures used to help extremely overweight or morbidly obese patients lose weight.
Morbidly obese patients are usually identified by their Body Mass Index (BMI) measurement, although other factors may also be taken into account. Morbid obesity is associated with an increased risk of developing illnesses such as: heart attack, hypertension, stroke, diabetes, sleep disorders and joint pain. Bariatric surgery can cure or greatly improve these illnesses as well as give the patient an improved quality of life.
Weight loss surgery refers to a number of different procedures that can be performed to treat obesity. Procedures fall into three main types:
- Malabsorptive - these procedures involve bypassing a section of the small intestine thus reducing the amount of food absorbed into the body
- Restrictive - these procedures involve reducing the size of the stomach, usually by creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach which limits the amount of food that can be eaten
- Malabsorptive/Restrictive Combination - these procedures combine both techniques e.g. gastric bypass surgery in which a small stomach pouch is formed and its outlet connected to part of the small intestine.
|Mon||1:00 PM – 5:00 PM|
|Tue||8:00 AM – 5:00 PM|
|Wed – Thu||1:00 PM – 5:00 PM|
Procedures / Treatments
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
In this procedure 80% of the stomach is removed, limiting the amount of food that can be taken and powerfully suppressing hunger.… More
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
In this procedure the stomach and first part of the small intestine are bypassed — this restricts food intake and stimulates hormones that suppress hunger and improve Type II diabetes.… More
Estimated costs for our procedures can be found here.
The Auckland Transport Journey Planner will help you to plan your journey.
(09) 522 4103
(09) 522 5136
90 Green Lane East
90 Green Lane East
PO Box 9113
Would you recommend this service to family & friends?
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 9:29AM on February 5, 2020. This information is reviewed and edited by Auckland Weight Loss Surgery.