Pukekohe Primary Birthing Unit
Public Service, Maternity, Maternity/Birthing Facilities, Obstetric and Gynaecology
Located on the corner of Tuakau Rd and Kitchener Rd, at the base of Pukekohe Hill. Adjacent to the Pukekohe Aged Care and other outpatient services. Area coverage extends east to Kaiaua, south to Meremere, west to Port Waikato up to Waiuku and the Awhitu Peninsula and north to Drury. However, low risk women from other areas are also welcome to use this facility.
The Primary Birthing Unit facilities include:
- two spacious birthing rooms that have large pools used for relaxation during labour and/or giving birth
- eight single rooms (two with a shared ensuite) and 1 double room are available for postnatal inpatient care
- approximately 300 births per year
- another 350-450 women return to the Unit postnatally for inpatient care after birth
- Baby Friendly Hospital accreditation since 2014, the Unit prides itself in supporting women who choose to breastfeed, with a high exclusive breastfeeding rate on discharge
- a large team of Self Employed Lead Maternity Carers hold clinics at the unit
- the Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre operates Monday to Friday where you can find a midwife, information about our pregnancy and other helpful resources
- Obstetric Consultant clinic every Thursday
- DHB community midwife clinics 2 days per week
- La Leche League breastfeeding support group on the first Monday of the month between 10am to 12pm, for all mums in the community
- Lactation Consultant clinic Thursday afternoons (LMC referral required).
For further information about maternity services offered by this and other Counties Manukau District Health Board Primary Birthing Units, please click here.
Please ask your GP to make an e-referral to CMDHB Maternity Services or call the Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre on (09) 237 0629
There are no charges for services to public patients if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Direction specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health.
If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz/eligibility
For applicable charges, please phone the Accounts Receivable Office on (09) 276 0060.
Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre
The Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre (PMRC) was set up with Ministry of Health funding in 2008.… More
(PDF, 5.5 MB)
See page 10 for list of LMC Community Midwives
- Eligibility and Cost of Maternity Services (PDF, 431.9 KB)
- Breastfeeding Support in the Community (PDF, 1,005.3 KB)
Options of Care in Counties Manukau
(PDF, 4.2 MB)
To find out more about how to find a midwife or where to have your baby
Visiting times are between 1.00pm and 8.00pm.
Women need rest to recover during their hospital stay.
Fathers of newborn babies are welcome to visit any time during daytime hours.
Children are welcome but must be supervised by an adult and must not run around the ward.
Visitors are restricted to two at a time. If you wish to visit outside these hours, please discuss this with the ward staff beforehand. Safety and security are very important to us, access to the ward is restricted for that reason.
Please refrain from visiting if you or your children are unwell with illness, including flu or chickenpox.
The unit has the following postnatal rooms:
- 6x single rooms
- 2x single rooms joined by an ensuite
- 1x 2 bedded room - usually used for a mum with twins
Women who birth at Middlemore Hospital and live in the Franklin areas will be required to transfer to Pukekohe Birthing Unit for their postnatal stay as soon as possible.
Doors to the unit are locked at all times to ensure safety of mother and baby. Support persons are only able to stay outside of visiting hours for specific reasons on request and approval of Charge Midwife Manager.
If you need to leave your baby during your stay, please leave with approved relative or with staff in the unit.
Information Pamphlets for Women
This link will take you to numerous Information Pamphlets
All maternity care is free if you are lawfully in New Zealand and meet one of the Eligibility Directions specified criteria set by the Ministry of Health.
If you do not meet the criteria, you will be required to pay for the full costs of any medical treatment you receive during your stay. A breakdown of costs is available from Maternity Administration at Middlemore Hospital.
To check whether you meet the specified eligibility criteria, visit the Ministry of Health website.
For any applicable charges, please phone the Accounts Receivable Office on (09) 276 0060.
(09) 237 0640
(09) 237 0666
Midwives Office: (09) 237 0638
Charge Midwife Managers Office: (09) 237 0616
Patient Enquiries: (09) 237 0640
Pukekohe Maternity Resource Centre: (09) 237 0629
1 Tuakau Road
1 Tuakau Road
1 Tuakau Road
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 2:40PM on January 6, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Pukekohe Primary Birthing Unit.