Wellington Sexual Health Service
Public Service, Sexual Health
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Wellington Sexual Health Services are contracted through CCDHB to provide services to priority populations in the Greater Wellington area, including Hutt Valley, Kapiti Coast and Wairarapa.
Eligibility criteria for services include:
- Patients referred from primary and secondary care
- Men who have sex with men
- Sex workers
- Pacific and Māori
- Gender diverse
- Community Service Card holders
- People diagnosed with syphilis / HIV
- Sexual contacts of people diagnosed with syphilis / HIV / Mycoplasma
- People who inject drugs or participate in CHEMSEX
- Pregnant women diagnosed with an STI (gonorrhoea, syphilis)
- If you meet the above criteria, you will need to be 25 years of age and older to be seen within our service.
- People need to meet the Ministry of Health eligibility for services in New Zealand MoH eligibility guidelines
All other individuals will need to see their GP or Family Planning for routine testing.
Please note: contraception services are not offered within the Wellington Sexual Health Service.
For smears, contraceptive services and routine sexual health needs please contact Family Planning NZ or your GP.
We no longer offer sex therapy services or treatment for erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation
Other counselling / therapy services can be accessed by contacting Tu Ora Compass Health and speaking with the mental health team (eligibility criteria apply).
For eligible patients, the Wellington Sexual Health Service (Cuba Street Clinic) provides confidential:
- Sexual Health Nurse visits for testing and treatment of uncomplicated STIs
- Specialist physician services upon GP referral for chronic and complex problems
- Self directed Express Clinic for asymptomatic eligible patients (no examination provided)
- Triage Nurse phone line for patients experiencing symptoms or in need of advice
Being seen at the Sexual Health Clinic is by appointment and free of charge for persons meeting our eligibility criteria.
Referral to see a Sexual Health Specialist Physician:
A referral letter is required for assessment by one of our specialists. Please ask your healthcare clinician to send a letter through to us electronically or by fax. We will contact you by mail with an appointment time if appropriate. Many sexual health concerns can be managed by your healthcare clinician in consultation with our specialists, so an appointment with Sexual Health may not be required.
Routine testing for eligible patients with no symptoms:
Express Clinic through our Triage Nurse - for eligible patients with no symptoms, who are not STI contacts.
You will be instructed on how to collect your own swabs (simple instruction provided). Testing can be done for gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Bloods can be taken as needed for HIV and syphilis.
- Patients without symptoms who are not happy to have an Express appointment or wish to have a full examination should contact their GP or Family Planning
- The Express appointments are not for patients 25 years and under. Please ring Youth Services for an appointment
- In Wellington contact Evolve
- In Hutt Valley contact Vibe
- In Kapiti Coast contact KYS - Kapiti Youth Services
Eligible patients with symptoms:
Appointment with a health care provider- If you are experiencing symptoms and wish to be seen by a nurse, please ring and select option 2, we will determine your eligibility and make an appointment if appropriate.
Routine testing includes: Chlamydia, gonorrhoea, trichomoniasis (women only), bloods for HIV & syphilis. (Other testing available based on history and risks).
Results: In the majority of cases results will be provided by text. In some circumstances you may be asked to return to receive your results. Test results may not be available for up to 10 days. If you are not planning on staying in New Zealand we may not be able to provide HIV and syphilis testing.
SEXUAL HEALTH STAFF
Dr Jenny Hayward, Sexual Health Specialist, Lead Sexual Assault Clinician
Dr Julia Scott, Sexual Health Specialist.
Dr Natalie Renaud, Sexual Health Specialist
Dr Beena Hegde, Medical Officer, Forensic Examiner
Dr Anthony Rea, Sexual Health Specialist (UK qualified)
Gill Dawidowski, CNS - Sexual Health Service Leader, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Gemma Prescott CNS - Clinical Nurse Coordinator, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Karen MacIntyre, RN - Sexual Health Nurse
Kelly Care, RN - Sexual Health Nurse, Forensic Nurse
Christoph Martens, RN, - Sexual Health Nurse
Kim Lund, CNS - Sexual Assault Service Leader, Clinical Nurse Specialist
Health Care Assistant:
Diane van Arem - SAATS & SH Lead Administrator/Reception
Jelena Wyatt - Lead Receptionist, Cuba Street & Hutt Clinics
Lower Hutt - To book an appointment call (04) 385 9879 or Freephone 0800 188 881
Tuesday 9:00am - 11:30am
Held in the Family Planning Clinic, Level 4, 21 - 23 Andrews Avenue, Lower Hutt.
Porirua - Until further notice, Porirua clinics have been cancelled.
Vibe (Youth Health Service) - eligibility criteria apply. To book an appointment call Vibe on (04) 566 0525, Wednesday Clinic, 12 Daly Street, Lower Hutt
NZ Prostitutes Collective - services for sex workers only. To book an appointment call NZPC on (04) 382 8791, Wednesday afternoons, 204 Willis Street, Wellington
Awhina Centre (NZ AIDS Foundation) - testing for MSM. To book an appointment contact Awhina Centre on (04) 381 6640. Level 1, 187 Willis Street, Te Aro, Wellington 6011. (Self collected samples only, no nurse on site)
Sexual Health Specialist, Lead Sexual Assault Clinician
- If your GP suggests that you see a sexual health provider for further evaluation, we will need a letter of referral sent to us prior to booking your appointment. This letter should contain all of your relevant history and results of their investigations.
- The information from your referrer will enable us to ensure that you are booked with the clinician best able to address your problem.
- We will contact you either by phone or letter to arrange your appointment once we have all of the information we need. If you do not want us to contact you by phone (or mail), please let your referring provider know the best way to reach you.
- If you have been sexually assaulted please click on the SAATS-Link website to find the services nearest you you.
The sexual health services provided by the WSHS and its outreach sites are free of charge to all eligible individuals. Donations are cheerfully accepted. Most medications are provided free of charge, some may incur a prescription fee.
Many community GP clinics, student health services and youth services in the Wellington, Hutt, Kapiti and Wairarapa areas are funded to provide free sexual health services to select groups or individuals.
To find a local GP who is registered to provide free sexual health services call your GP or Tū Ora Compass Health. Eligibility criteria apply.
All sexual assault services are free of charge.
9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
|Mon – Tue||9:00 AM – 4:00 PM|
|Thu – Fri||9:00 AM – 4:00 PM|
No services are provided in the Wellington Clinic on Wednesdays.
Tū Pakari Ora, the Sexual Assault Assessment & Treatment Service (SAATS) phone hours are Monday to Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm. Acute forensic examinations are provided 24/7 by contacting the local police or crisis support services.
For Acute Sexual Assault referrals and requests for forensic examination, please go to:
https://www.saats-link.nz/ or refer to the Health Point sexual assault pages under Tū Pakari Ora:
Public Holidays: Closed Labour Day (25 Oct), Wellington Anniversary (24 Jan), Waitangi Day (Observed 7/2/22) (7 Feb), Good Friday (15 Apr), Easter Sunday (17 Apr), Easter Monday (18 Apr), ANZAC Day (25 Apr), Queen's Birthday (6 Jun).
Sexual Health & STIs
For Bus Schedules: http://www.metlink.org.nz/
For Train Schedules: https://www.metlink.org.nz/timetables/
There is on street parking, along upper Cuba Street. Parking fees apply
Wilson Carpark is located at 151 Cuba Street.
There are a number of coupon parking spots in the area.
SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES - PLEASE NOTE THAT SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES HAVE CHANGED IN 2021. PATIENTS WILL NEED TO MEET OUR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA TO BE SEEN FOR SERVICES.
WE ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ACCEPT WALK IN PATIENTS TO OUR CLINIC.
(04) 385 9879 OR freephone 0800 188 881 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00-4:00
For patients with STI symptoms or need for advice, select Option 2 to speak with a nurse. Please leave a brief message and contact details and a nurse will be in contact with you within 1 business day. We will advise you if you are eligible for services within our clinic.
For routine testing for patients with no symptoms, contact the service to speak with a member of our team who will advise you if you are eligible for services in our Express Clinic.
Most STI services can be managed in Primary Care. Your GP can provide testing and treatment for routine STIs.
For management of ongoing sexual health concerns, you will require a referral from your GP in order to be seen at Wellington Sexual Health Service. Once we have received the referral, we will be in contact with an appointment time where appropriate.
Wellington SEXUAL ASSAULT FORENSIC SERVICES
Please refer to the Sexual Assault HealthPoint pages for Tū Pakari Ora
If you have been sexually assaulted 24/7 contact:
Wellington HELP Foundation on 04 801 6655 (Wellington, Porirua, Kapiti) http://www.wellingtonhelp.org.nz/
OR Hutt Valley Sexual Abuse Support and Healing (HV SASH) on 0800 22 66 94 (Hutt Valley) https://www.hvsash.org.nz/
OR your local Police 04 381 2000
Contacting the crisis support agencies can be done without reporting to police.
275 Cuba Street
275 Cuba Street
Cuba Street Clinic
275 Cuba Street
Was this page helpful?
This page was last updated at 12:28PM on August 10, 2021. This information is reviewed and edited by Wellington Sexual Health Service.